Macon County Facts

Macon County was created by the Alabama legislature on 1832 Dec. 18, from territory acquired from the last cession of the Creek Indians, 1832 Mar. 24. It was named for Nathaniel Macon, a distinguished soldier and statesman from North Carolina. Macon County received its present dimensions in 1866. It is located in the east-central portion of the state, and is bordered by Elmore, Tallapoosa, Lee, Russell, Bullock, and Montgomery Counties.

Situated along the Interstate 85 Corridor between LaGrange, Georgia and Montgomery, Alabama, it encompasses 614 square miles. The county seat is Tuskegee, named after a Creek Indian town that was located at the confluence of the Coosa and Tallapoosa rivers.

Tuskegee is also the site of Tuskegee University and the historic sites of Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, and the Tuskegee Human & Civil Rights Multicultural Center in downtown Tuskegee. The historic Tuskegee Airmen Museum is located in Macon County at Exit 38 at Moton Field Airport. Other towns and communities include Shorter www.shorteralabama.org , Franklin, and Notasulga.